The Clinical Research Center (CRC) at Boston Children's Hospital is an interdisciplinary, academic and service research center that provides assistance and education to the clinical research community at Children's.
Within the Clinical Research Center there are four separate but interrelated cores
- Design and Analysis Core;
- Clinical Research Education Core;
- Development and Operations Core; and
- Clinical and Translational Study Unit.
Clinical research is scientific investigation that is conducted with human subjects or on material of human origin such as tissues, specimens, cognitive phenomena or other data for which an investigator directly interacts with human subjects or for which material can be directly linked to an identifiable, living individual. Clinical research includes patient-oriented, community, and population-based research studies.
To be a state-of-the-art, dynamic, and integrated clinical research center that provides leadership, infrastructure, and resources to support patient-oriented research studies.
The mission of The Clinical Research Center is to promote excellence and quality in clinical research methods, to encourage best practices in clinical study implementation, and to empower investigators to conduct high quality independent research.
- Scientific Leadership: To provide scientific leadership and expertise on the design, conduct, analysis, and reporting of clinical research studies.
- Education and Training: To provide education, training and mentoring to the clinical researcher community on clinical research methods and study implementation best practices.
- Scientific Collaboration and Consultation: To serve as active scientific collaborators with hospital research initiatives and provide consultation services and/or collaboration in support of the design, conduct, analysis and reporting of clinical research studies.
- Research: To conduct independent research that serves to innovate and advance methodology in statistical design and analysis, survey and data collection methods, electronic data capture methods, and clinical research information technology.
- Integration: To provide a formal interdisciplinary home that links faculty members from the Center with various Departments and Divisions throughout the Hospital.
- Growth: To assist Departments and Divisions throughout the Hospital in recruiting and mentoring faculty members who are engaged in clinical research.
- Professional development: To support the professional development of our faculty and staff so that they may develop their skills and advance their careers,
The Clinical Research Center is committed to ensuring standardized and consistent best practices in clinical research methods, study conduct, data integrity, and the design of ethical protocols for all human subjects.
The Clinical Research Center is committed to providing a positive and motivational work environment that fosters teamwork, mutual respect, integrity, responsiveness and concern for each research project, with creative interaction at the interface between areas of science.
The Clinical Research Center is committed to fostering a culture of collaborative, interdisciplinary research of the highest quality, respecting the priorities of each contributing discipline while placing priority on excellence in the joint effort.