As part of our ongoing commitment to improving the health and well-being of children in communities throughout Massachusetts, we are planning to modernize our existing facilities in Waltham and Weymouth, and build a new ambulatory surgical center in Needham.
The need for our services has been growing steadily, and these investments are part of our continuing efforts to ensure that patients and families have access to a full range of integrated pediatric care services in convenient settings, as close to home as possible. We recognize that patients come to Boston Children’s from every city and town in Massachusetts, reflecting the racial and economic diversity of the state. We factored this into our planning for our facilities in these locations.
A comprehensive planning process has been underway for several years. In addition, it is essential that as we emerge from the pandemic, we are prepared to meet the unique needs of all children, and that we are well positioned to continue to improve their health and well-being both now and in the future.
Founders Park (Center 128 West), 380 1st Ave. (adjacent to the Trip Advisor building)
Building a comprehensive ambulatory surgical center
- Pediatric specialty services include surgery, radiology, audiology, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, and orthopedic surgery/sports medicine.
- excavation: February-July 2023
- foundation work: June-October 2023
- steel erection: November 2023-May 2024
- building exterior: June-December 2024
- interior construction: September 2024-November 2025
- first patients expected: December 2025
9 Hope Ave.
Modernizing Boston Children’s Waltham
- Expand hospital services to include an 18-bed infusion unit, and sleep and radiology programs.
- New services will include a comprehensive medical/psychiatric day program and clinical research programs.
In addition to this planned work, a 12-bed inpatient psychiatry unit opened in fall 2021 to address the growing behavioral health crisis.
- 18 individual projects that will be worked on in phases and completed at different times over the next five years
- project completion: 2028
200 Libbey Parkway
Relocating our existing physician practice to a new site in Weymouth and adding limited pediatric hospital services
- New hospital support services, including cardiac testing, phlebotomy, radiology (including MRI), audiology, speech therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy, to augment existing physician services.
- exterior envelope complete: June 2023
- core/shell building complete: September 2023
- fit-out construction complete: January 2024
- first patients expected: Spring 2024
Follow our expansion and renewal on Instagram.
These facilities will benefit patients, families and communities by improving access to the highest quality, most innovative pediatric care in the world.
For questions or to be added to a distribution list for project updates, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Determination of Need application (approved Dec. 14, 2022)
Information related to the submitted application is available on the state’s Determination of Need website. Thank you to the staff at the Department of Public Health Determination of Need office and members of the Public Health Council for their time in reviewing and approving our application.