Varicocele | Treatments

How are varicoceles treated?

If there's no pain, your Children's urologist may recommend doing nothing but coming back annually for ultrasounds to be sure the varicocele isn't hindering proper growth of the testicle. Varicoceles sometimes impair testicular growth, resulting in a smaller testicle. There is a definite relationship between the size of the varicocele and the volume or size of the testicle.

If your son is experiencing pain, your doctor will probably recommend a simple surgical procedure, performed routinely under anesthesia on an outpatient basis. During this procedure, called a varicocelectomy, doctors make a small incision and remove only the veins that are causing the problem. Your pediatric urologist will discuss with you whether this is a viable option for your son.