Boston Children's Hospital's specialists in the Division of Nephrology care for infants, children, and adolescents with congenital and acquired kidney disease. We are one of the largest pediatric nephrology services in the United States, caring for children from all over the world.
We maintain one of the few dialysis units in the northeastern U.S. for children who need chronic dialysis therapy, with expertise in both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. In addition, we provide all forms of dialysis, including continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT), to hospitalized children with kidney failure.
Why choose the Division of Nephrology at Boston Children’s Hospital?
Boston Children’s Hospital’s Division of Nephrology is recognized as the top center for the care of infants, children, and adolescents with kidney dysfunction. We are honored to be recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation’s best pediatric nephrology programs.
Our physicians and scientists are constantly seeking a better understanding of kidney diseases and more effective therapies. New discoveries at the cellular or molecular level in the laboratory can merge with other discoveries from moments spent at patients’ bedsides, all aimed at improving care for patients and families.
Our division is known internationally for its expertise in caring for very young children with chronic kidney disease. We also have extensive experience in caring for children with complex urinary tract abnormalities, aggressive forms of nephrotic syndrome or chronic nephritis, complex kidney stone disease, and rare, inherited forms of kidney disease causing abnormalities in electrolyte balance. Additionally, we have been a leader in the care of children with end stage kidney disease (ESRD) who require chronic dialysis or kidney transplantation.
Programs and services
- End-stage Renal Disease Program
- General Renal Program
- Hypertension Program
- Kidney Stone Program
- Kidney Transplant Program
- Midaortic Syndrome and Renovascular Hypertension Center
Research and innovation
Boston Children’s Nephrology Division has one of the largest and longest-established research programs centered in a pediatric nephrology program.
Our recent initiatives include:
- a kidney transplant research program, which conducts laboratory research aimed at developing safer, more effective immunosuppression protocols
- a robust research program to investigate the genetic causes of nephrotic syndrome, end-stage kidney disease, and kidney stones, with the goal of using developing personalized treatment options for each patient
- a multidisciplinary program leading the development of new treatments for midaortic syndrome and other complex causes of high blood pressure
- a regenerative biology team to understand developmental anomalies that account for most cases of chronic kidney disease
- a pharmacogenomics group, which develops drugs to address children's genetic differences