Your Visit | Overview
Your child’s visit to the Brain Injury Center will revolve around their specific condition and which of our clinics they’re visiting.
Our concussion clinics provide diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care for children who’ve had a recent concussion. Our clinicians also provide recommendations on when to return to school, sports and activities, and work. We can also provide testing to measure the child’s cognitive (function and reaction time.
Sports Medicine Concussion Clinic
The Sports Concussion Clinic is run by the Sports Medicine Division and cares for patients 8 and older who have had a recent sports-related concussion. Our team of experts delivers cutting-edge care and concussion prevention and recovery education for athletes and their families.
- Phone: 617-355-6015
Department of Neurology and the Brain Injury Center
The Department of Neurology and the Brain Injury Center evaluate and treat children who’ve had a recent concussion unrelated to sports.
- Main campus: 300 Longwood Ave., Boston, MA
- Boston Children’s Waltham: 9 Hope Ave., Waltham, MA
- Phone: 617-355-2490
Multidisciplinary Concussion Clinic
The Multidisciplinary Concussion Clinic is for children ages 4 to 19 with long-term symptoms or problems after a concussion. Our team of specialists provides comprehensive evaluation and ongoing treatment.
This clinic is held monthly at our Boston Children’s Waltham clinic.
Your child’s visit to the clinic will last about six hours. You should bring snacks and drinks (such as Gatorade or water) for your child. Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to complete paperwork.
During the visit, your child will meet with different clinicians from various specialties, including:
- Neurology or sports medicine (shared services)
- Physical therapy
- Ophthalmology and optometry
After the visit, the clinicians will meet to discuss the best treatment for your child and develop a follow-up plan. They may also suggest further testing.
Traumatic Brain Injury Multidisciplinary Clinic
The Traumatic Brain Injury Multidisciplinary Clinic is for children experiencing long-term effects or problems after a moderate to severe brain injury. This clinic offers comprehensive evaluation and management by a team of specialists to give your child and your family the necessary tools to succeed in school and everyday activities.
Please plan to arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to check in and complete any necessary paperwork.
During the visit, your child will meet with different clinicians, including experts in:
- Pediatric rehabilitation medicine
During your visit, the team will discuss the best treatment for your child and come up with a follow-up plan. They may also suggest further testing or visits with other specialists.
Preparing for your child’s appointment
Please bring the following items to the appointment:
- your child’s or family’s insurance card or insurance information
- your driver’s license (or, if you are not the child’s legal guardian, the license of the guardian)
- name, address, and phone number of your child’s pediatrician
- referral form and authorization number from your insurance company, if needed
- list of all the medications your child takes (including vitamins, supplements, and herbal remedies)
- copies of all test results, including any recent x-rays, CT scans, or MRI scans that were done at a facility other than Boston Children’s Hospital
For more information
If you have questions about our brain injury clinics or which clinic is right for your child, please call 857-218-5548 to speak with the Brain Injury Center clinical coordinator.