If your child needs to stay overnight at Boston Children's Hospital for inpatient care, our team of specialists in Hospital Medicine at Boston Children's will help care for them. This team includes doctors, nurses, social workers, nutritionists, and child life specialists.
During your child’s stay, a hospitalist from Hospital Medicine at Boston Children's will be in charge of your child’s care. A hospitalist is a pediatrician who specializes in caring for children while they are in the hospital.
Providing family centered care
As hospitalists, we practice family centered care. This means we see your family as an important part of your child’s care team. Each morning, we do family centered rounds, where we meet with every patient and family. During this time, we will talk with you about how your child is doing, conduct a physical exam of your child, and come up with a plan for the day. We appreciate hearing your input and questions during this time, and throughout the day, because we realize that you are the expert on your child.
Partnering with your child’s primary care provider
We have a hospitalist in the hospital at all times — 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Since we deliver high-quality care, focus on families, and have access to many resources at Boston Children's, most primary care providers choose to have our hospitalists care for their patients when they need to be hospitalized. We also make it a point to talk with your child’s provider while your child is here and as we plan for them to go home.
Our expertise in inpatient care
Hospital Medicine at Boston Children's was created in 1998. It is one of the oldest pediatric hospital medicine programs in the country. Our program is nationally known for its leadership in pediatric hospital medicine. The team offers:
- experience treating a wide variety of inpatient pediatric illnesses
- knowledge of the hospital’s routines and policies
- access to Boston Children's resources and specialists
- direct communication with your child’s primary care provider
- a commitment to family centered care and daily family centered rounds to partner with you
- a coordinated plan with your child’s provider when it’s time to go home
- years of experience and training in communication, patient safety, quality improvement, pediatric research, patient experience, and clinical informatics