The Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Center at Boston Children's Hospital diagnoses and treats children with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Our team includes IBD and childcare specialists, each with a unique role in providing care to make treatment as easy as possible for young patients and their families.
Our IBD Center offers the full spectrum of services, including:
- personalized nutrition counseling
- careful monitoring of growth and development
- age-appropriate psychological and social support
- preparation and education for college, travel and work
- complete transitional care services for young adults approaching age 26
Why choose the Boston Children’s IBD Center?
We help patients of all ages with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis get their symptoms under control and avoid surgery so every child with IBD can get back to being a kid again.
Families and patients around the world choose us for treatment consultations, second opinions and ongoing care because we offer:
- National reputation for excellence: We are among the country’s leading programs for the treatment of IBD in children, teens, and young adults. Boston Children’s Hospital is ranked #1 in the U.S. by U.S. News & World Report.
- Expertise: Our team of experienced clinicians has decades of experience to treat common and complex IBD. The team sees about 1,500 patients each year and regularly treats the most rare and complex cases, including early-onset IBD.
- Comprehensive team approach to care: You or your child benefit from the collective expertise of a team of specialists. This collaborative approach gives you the convenience of meeting with multiple specialists in a single visit and the confidence that no aspect of care will be overlooked. Meet the IBD team.
- Commitment to research: Our specialists at the IBD Center are actively involved in today’s top clinical trials and leading research to develop better treatments and discover genetic causes. Learn more about IBD research at Boston Children’s.
- Compassionate support for patients and families: Our team of physicians and nurse practitioners created this e-book, Your Guide to Inflammatory Bowel Disease, with school-aged children in mind, that provides a high level overview of what you need to know about leading healthy lives with IBD.
“My doctor in the Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease has taught me that there are no limitations when living with Crohn’s, and I want others to feel that way as well.”Read his story
Boston Children’s approach to care
At the Boston Children’s IBD Center, you partner with a full team of experts who specialize in treating different aspects of your child’s medical, social and emotional needs. Our comprehensive team includes:
- Board-certified pediatric gastroenterologists, many of whom work with the latest advancements in IBD research and are leaders in developing new treatment therapies
- Expert surgeons who belong to a GI surgery team consistently ranked among the top in the country by U.S. News & World Report
- Nurse practitioners who specialize in IBD
- Registered dietitians who specialize in the unique nutritional needs of children and young adults with IBD
- Social workers who understand the full range of our patients’ emotional and social needs and can provide support services for coping with school and work environments
- Radiologists who help our physicians diagnose your child’s condition and pinpoint its location for the most targeted treatment plan possible
- Clinic coordinators who helps you navigate our clinic, book appointments and more