Patient Resources | Overview
You are a valued member of your child's care team. Parents and siblings of any age are welcome in the Medical/Surgical Intensive Care Unit 24 hours a day.
Visiting the MSICU
We are located on the seventh floor of the Main Building, on 7 South. Enter the hospital through the Main Entrance and bear right past the fish tanks to the elevators.
When you visit, we ask that you wear a parent ID badge, which you may obtain in the Main Lobby before going upstairs. We also ask that you stop at the MSICU front desk each time you visit. A staff member will check your parent ID badge and let your child's nurse know you are here. If any visiting siblings are under age 12, they must check in at the information desk in the Main Lobby to be screened for illness prior to entering the unit.
For all others, visiting hours are from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. We recommend two visitors at a time, and ask that all visitors be accompanied by a parent.
Parking can validated/discounted at the information desk in the Main Lobby.
Getting updates on your child’s condition
We are happy to provide updates and answer questions about your child's condition any time, 24 hours a day. To protect your child's privacy, we will only provide information to parents or designated family members. We ask that other family members and friends contact you or the person you designate for information about your child.
We recommend keeping a log or notebook to keep track of your child’s medical information, with a list of your questions as they come up. We will try to answer all your questions honestly and to the best of our ability. You are always welcome to request a family meeting with your child’s care team.
Amenities in the MSICU and beyond
- Your child’s room: So your child is as comfortable as possible in the MSICU, we encourage you to bring in stuffed animals, blankets, music boxes and/or pictures. Please label all personal property with your child's name to prevent items from being misplaced. There is a black phone located at each of the bed spaces for parents to use. Directions on how to call out and listen to your voicemail messages are located on the phones.
- The unit’s Family Waiting Room is available to all families and guests. You’ll find a television, telephones, a small refrigerator and a microwave.
- Breastfeeding mothers are welcome to use our unit’s lockable private room, furnished with a breast pump. Pump kits are also available, and your baby’s nurse can call in a lactation consultant if you need information and assistance with breastfeeding or pumping. The hospital provides meal trays for breastfeeding mothers which you may order through your baby's nurse.
- Meal options: The hospital cafeteria is located off the Main Lobby. The Main Lobby also has an Au Bon Pain. Also nearby are a food court with a variety of dining options, located a block west of Boston Children's in the Longwood Galleria, and a Bertucci’s restaurant, located in the Karp building directly across from the hospital’s main entrance (and opposite the parking garage).
- Our Interfaith Chapel is located on the first floor of the Farley building. It is open 24 hours a day and offers a peaceful and comforting place for quiet reflection or prayer. You may also request a visit by a chaplain by calling the office directly at 617-355-6664, or by speaking with a nurse. Our chaplains represent a variety of faiths including Islam, Judaism, Protestantism and Roman Catholicism.
Discharge from the MSICU
Discharge plans are individualized to best meet each child's medical needs and family circumstances. Your child may be transferred to an intermediate care hospital closer to home, directly to a specialized pediatric unit at Boston Children's Hospital, to a long term care facility for prolonged recovery or directly home.
Families of children going home from the MSICU will have teaching on how to care for your child at home, and, if needed, support services in place such as a visiting nurse service.