Contact Us | Overview
Contacting a social worker
To speak with a social worker:
- call the Social Work Department directly at 617-355-7965
- ask your child's nurse, physician, or other care provider to page them
Referrals to Social Work may be made 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays by calling 617-355-7965. (Nights, weekends, and holidays, a social worker may be contacted through the page operator at 617-355-6369.)
In general, the confidentiality of all communications between a social worker and patient, parent, or legal guardian is protected by law. In order to provide the best care possible to you and your family members, some information may be shared with other members of the hospital health care team. Like other hospital professionals, social workers document information in the medical record that is available to other team members in order to coordinate a comprehensive plan of care.
With certain legal exceptions, all communications with a social worker can be released outside of Boston Children's Hospital only with the written consent of the patient, parent, or legal guardian. A social worker may be required to disclose confidential communication in situations when:
- there is reasonable cause to believe that a child or disabled person is at risk for abuse or neglect
- there is reason to believe that an individual poses a serious threat to self or others
- there is a judicial order mandating a release of communications
If you have questions about our confidentiality policy, please ask your social worker.