Researcher | Research Overview
Dr. Kurtz is a health services researcher, with specific attention to outcomes related to kidney stones in children and the adolescent varicocele. He also has an interest in translational research to help mothers with babies detected with urologic anomalies in utero. He is the co-principal investigator on a project examining completely minimally invasive methods to evaluate fetal kidney function in utero, especially during complex pregnancies with fetal lower urinary tract obstruction.
Active Projects 2016-2018
Mechanism: The Richard A. and Susan F. Smith President's Innovation Fund Award
Sponsor: Boston Children’s Hospital
Grant Title: Completely Non-invasive In Utero Measurement of Kidney Function
Researcher | Research Background
Dr. Kurtz attended Brown University and the Brown-Dartmouth Medical School Program, receiving his MD in 2007. He completed his internship in general surgery and his residency in urology at the Massachusetts General Hospital. After this, he was selected to train in the three-year pediatric urology fellowship at Boston Children’s Hospital. During this time, he also obtained a Master of Public Health degree with a concentration in clinical effectiveness at the Harvard School of Public Health. He is a member of the American Urological Association and the Society for Pediatric Urology.
- Kurtz MP, McNamara ER, Schaeffer AJ, Logvinenko T, Nelson CP. Association of BMI and pediatric urologic postoperative events: Results from pediatric NSQIP. J Pediatr Urol. 2015 Aug;11(4):224.
- Kurtz MP, Chow JS, Johnson EK, Rosoklija I, Logvinenko T, Nelson CP. Imaging after urinary tract infection in older children and adolescents. J Urol. 2015 May;193(5 Suppl):1778-82.
- Kurtz MP, Zurakowski D, Rosoklija I, Bauer SB, Borer JG, Johnson KL, Migliozzi M, Diamond DA. Semen parameters in adolescents with varicocele: association with testis volume differential and total testis volume. J Urol. 2015 May;193(5 Suppl):1843-7
- Kurtz MP, Migliozzi M, Rosoklija I, Zurakowski D, Diamond DA. Accuracy of orchidometry in boys with varicocele. J Pediatr Urol. 2015 Aug;11(4)
- Kurtz MP, Eisner BH. Dietary therapy for patients with hypocitraturic nephrolithiasis. Nat Rev Urol. 2011 Mar;8(3):146-52.
- Pais VM Jr, Chew B, Shaw O, Hyams ES, Matlaga B, Venkatesh R, Page J, Paterson RF, Arsovska O, Kurtz M, Eisner BH. Percutaneous nephrolithotomy for removal of encrusted ureteral stents: a multicenter study. J Endourol. 2014 Oct;28(10):1188-91.
Researcher | Media
Meet Dr. Michael Kurtz